Hello, I am Val Hemminger, a Divorce Lawyer based in British Columbia, Canada and creator of the Better Divorce Project. I have been in practice for over 25 years, representing thousands of families.
I obviously can't guarantee there won't be problems in your separation and divorce journey. You may even have big bumps along the way. However, I created this, the Better Divorce Project, because a significant problem for many people getting divorced is that they get caught up in costly misinformation which makes those bumps significantly worse.
The sad truth is that just about no-one is prepared for divorce. This means that you do not know what you do not know and as a result you can be easily influenced by emotional arguments, an influencer on social media, an emotional family member or friend or even worse, a lawyer whose favoured sport is litigation.
Reduce the drama if you are getting a divorce
Although family laws are designed to support you, it is possible that you will find yourself in uncharted territory. As a result, you need to protect yourself with quality information.
Unfortunately, parts of the family law industry are toxic and most people don't realize how broken it is. Don't let you and your changing family get swept up into its clutches.
You may even have heard horror stories from a friend or family member who has gone through the divorce process from hell. Believe me, in my 25+ years I have seen plenty of examples of these and it's not pretty.
Don't let this be you:
- Spending countless thousands of dollars on legal fees.
- Many court applications with no end in sight.
- Your kids being put in the middle of conflict causing profound emotional damage.
- Your case dragging on for many months, and even years.
- Your case is all-consuming so you have little time, energy, or resources for much of anything else.
- The lawyers have charged exorbitant amounts in legal fees fighting your ex and have driven you farther apart rather than closer to resolution.
Even if you think you are heading for a high-conflict divorce, there are immediate strategies that you can use to reduce the drama and get you to a resolution. It may not seem like it now, but your future is closer than you think.
You will be able to get on with your life, health, well-being and happiness, not only for you but for your children and any other connected loved ones.